SCARECROWS ON THE SQUARE
Thank you for participating in Scarecrows on the Square. This event is sponsored by the Downtown Paris Association (DPA). The event fee is $15 and proceeds benefit the DPA.
Have fun and be creative as you choose your materials. We encourage you to be environmentally conscious and recycle items to fit with the theme for your scarecrow!
Application forms will be ready for pickup at the DPA office, 203 N. Fentress Street on September 21st
Set up days will be Wednesday, September 27th through Friday,
September 29th between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please call the DPA office at 731-653-7274 to schedule a time to set up your scarecrow in its designated location on the Square.
Bring the completed form to the DPA office, fax it to 731-642-6222, or email it to email@example.com by September 26th.
Scarecrows will be judged the first week of October. Winners will be announced on October 21st at Spooktacular.
You may remove your Scarecrow on October 23rd and October 24th. All scarecrows will be removed October 27th.
Information and Rules
- Scarecrows will be installed around Court Square in locations selected by the DPA. Scarecrows may be seated on hay bales, for example, or in standing positions. They will not be placed in grass locations on the lawn.
- Any signage about the scarecrow may be 1’ X 1 1/2’. You may name your Scarecrow e.g. “Karate Crow” by Paris Karate. The signage is not for advertising purposes.
- Cash Prizes will be awarded for People’s Choice, Most Original, Best Constructed, and Best in Show. Winners will be announced at Spooktacular on October 21st.
- Please keep in mind that this is a family friendly event. Scarecrows reflecting controversial situations will not be accepted. Scarecrows cannot include political, religious, promotional, or commercial subject matter.
- Framework measurement may not exceed a five foot cross with a shoulder width of two feet.
- DPA is not responsible for any loss or damage to the entries.
- DPA reserves the right to remove any Scarecrow at any time for any reason.
- DPA reserves the right to use photographs and names of any of the Scarecrows at any time for any reason.
- DPA will remove any Scarecrow that deteriorates to an unacceptable level during display, including having parts pulled off by visitors. Please make your entries as weather-proof and as indestructible as possible. DPA is not responsible for loss or damage to Scarecrows.
Keep in mind these displays are kept up for a full month so here are some helpful hints.
Scarecrow Construction Hints:
- Spray Scotch Guard on the inside and outside of clothing to avoid mildew.
- Stuff the scarecrow with materials like plastic bags and bubble wrap as well as newspaper stuffed inside plastic bags. However, newspaper and water-soluble peanuts generally do not work.
- Use weather resistant materials to dress the Scarecrow. Nylon and polyester fabrics hold up better and fade less than cotton.
- Ideas for head and hair: stuffed pillow case, gourds, yarn, broom, corn, shredded plastic, moss, raffia, milk jug, pot, wood, balls and mops.
- Scarecrows stay outside, so make sure everything is secure. Sewing works best, but large safety pins or staples will work as well.
- Do not use latex gloves because they quickly disintegrate outdoors. Masking tape also disintegrates quickly.
- PVC is a good material to construct the body in a cross that is five feet tall with two feet across.
SCARECROWS ON THE SQUARE
This form must be returned by September 26th.
Group/Business/Individual Name: ________________________________
Scarecrow Title: ______________________________________________
Contact Name: _______________________________________________
Contact phone number: ________________________________________
Contact email: _______________________________________________
Do you wish to pick up your scarecrow at the end of display period? _____
Please return completed form to:
Downtown Paris Association
P.O. Box 95
Paris, TN 38242
If you have any questions please contact the DPA at 731-653-7274 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Downtown Paris Association, DPA, is a 501C3 non-profit organization that promotes prosperous business activity and community involvement while encouraging preservation of the downtown area. The DPA works through a joint effort of our membership that includes residents, businesses, churches, civic organizations, City and County government, and other local agencies and nonprofit groups.
The DPA is sponsoring this fun event to encourage family activities and bring awareness of what the DPA does for Paris. We encourage you join us and be involved with your community.
For more information call the DPA at 731-653-7274 or visit their website at www.VisitDowntownParis.com.